Question about latest release iso
JD
2010-10-16 23:08:16 UTC
Dear All,
Last release ISO I see online is from back in 2007, according to
ftp://ftp.iso.pld-linux.org/iso/2.0/
Yet, I see that some PLD repos release latest kernel from
kernel.org: 2.6.35.7
See
ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/vol/vol1/ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/3.0/PLD/i686/RPMS/kernel-2.6.35.7-1.i686.rpm

So, there has been no new full release since PLD 2 in 2007??

Also, where are the update repos for latest released ISO image?
Grzesiek Pycia
2010-10-17 12:05:34 UTC
Post by JD
Dear All,
Last release ISO I see online is from back in 2007, according to
ftp://ftp.iso.pld-linux.org/iso/2.0/
Yet, I see that some PLD repos release latest kernel from
kernel.org: 2.6.35.7
See
ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/vol/vol1/ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/3.0/PLD/i686/RPMS/kernel-2.6.35.7-1.i686.rpm
So, there has been no new full release since PLD 2 in 2007??
No, the 3.0(TH) is in develop for now, and it's usable and "stable"
release ;)
There is no iso, but you can use CRI or RCD to install it via chroot
Post by JD
Also, where are the update repos for latest released ISO image?
AFAIK there are no new iso releases.

There are PLD 3.0 live cd releases:

http://livecd.pld-linux.org/
--
Gzohop:
Grzesiek Pycia
EMAIL: gzohop at gmail.com
"Czas robi swoje... a Ty?"
JD
2010-10-17 19:34:38 UTC
Post by JD
Also, where are the update repos for latest released ISO image?
AFAIK there are no new iso releases.
http://livecd.pld-linux.org/
OK, so once I install Th via live CD, and I want to do
yum update
where are the updates?
Or if you can tell me the contents of the .repo files?
What about importing he GPG? From where?
Paweł Zuzelski
2010-10-17 19:59:58 UTC
Post by JD
OK, so once I install Th via live CD, and I want to do
yum update
where are the updates?
Or if you can tell me the contents of the .repo files?
Forget about yum and .repo, we've got much better deps solver called
poldek. Try:

poldek --up
poldek

Then, in poldek interactive mode something like:

poldek> search java*
poldek> search -f */javac
poldek> search -f /usr/bin/file
poldek> install tomcat
poldek> uninstall lighttpd

you can browse poldek repos configuration in
/etc/poldek/repos.d/pld.conf

Enjoy! :)
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
--
Regards,
Pawe?
JD
2010-10-17 20:08:46 UTC
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
OK. Thank you Pawel.

Cheers,

JD
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
2010-10-17 20:10:36 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
main packages are signed:

ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
--
Arkadiusz Mi?kiewicz PLD/Linux Team
arekm / maven.pl http://ftp.pld-linux.org/
JD
2010-10-17 20:18:44 UTC
Post by Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
So, does poldek have a comand to import the sigs
the way yum imports the sigs?
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
2010-10-17 20:24:43 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
So, does poldek have a comand to import the sigs
the way yum imports the sigs?
poldek - no.
rpm - yes.
yum - no idea what it does wit keys.
JD
2010-10-17 20:36:27 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
So, does poldek have a comand to import the sigs
the way yum imports the sigs?
poldek - no.
rpm - yes.
yum - no idea what it does wit keys.
But I was just told to forget about yum and use poldek.
If poldek does not have a way to import these sigs,
and yum is not used for updates because apparently there
is not pld.repo file , then how could poldek verify the authenticity
of the packages it downloads?
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
2010-10-17 20:50:08 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
So, does poldek have a comand to import the sigs
the way yum imports the sigs?
poldek - no.
rpm - yes.
yum - no idea what it does wit keys.
But I was just told to forget about yum and use poldek.
If poldek does not have a way to import these sigs,
and yum is not used for updates because apparently there
is not pld.repo file , then how could poldek verify the authenticity
of the packages it downloads?
By using rpm mechanism for that. So use rpm to import these and poldek will
know.
Elan Ruusamäe
2010-10-18 09:08:30 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
What about importing he GPG? From where?
I'm not sure, but as I know th packages are not gpg-signed.
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/th/PLD-3.0-Th-GPG-key.asc
pld th packages are signed, by that key above.

but due bug in rpm (at least one used in pld), rpm is unable to use that
signature. same goes for poldek as poldek uses rpm to verify the keys.
glen
Zsolt Udvari
2010-10-17 11:20:18 UTC
Hello!

I think you want to use Th version.
http://www.pld-linux.org/ThInfo
http://www.pld-linux.org/AcInfo

Installation:
http://www.pld-linux.org/FAQ#head-01796201545cba4b75c05fb60a3d5527f3be776e

Zsolt
JD
2010-10-17 19:20:36 UTC
Post by Zsolt Udvari
Hello!
I think you want to use Th version.
http://www.pld-linux.org/ThInfo
http://www.pld-linux.org/AcInfo
http://www.pld-linux.org/FAQ#head-01796201545cba4b75c05fb60a3d5527f3be776e
Zsolt
OK, Thanx.
What about the repo file for yum and the gpg to import?
Paweł Zuzelski
2010-10-17 19:55:14 UTC
Post by JD
OK, Thanx.
What about the repo file for yum and the gpg to import?
We don't use yum. As I know, there are no yum indexes generated for
th. Use poldek.
--
Regards,
Pawe? Zuzelski
Elan Ruusamäe
2010-10-18 09:04:55 UTC
Post by Paweł Zuzelski
Post by JD
OK, Thanx.
What about the repo file for yum and the gpg to import?
We don't use yum. As I know, there are no yum indexes generated for
th. Use poldek.
that is not true, metadata is generated nighty for PLD repo (aka th-main)

if it is broken, that is different story.
glen
Artur Wroblewski
2010-10-17 19:33:58 UTC
Post by Zsolt Udvari
http://www.pld-linux.org/ThInfo
Above page needs updates (i.e. ppc and athlon are not supported anymore).

Regards,

Caleb Maclennan
2010-10-18 07:45:07 UTC
So, there has been no new full release since PLD 2 in ?2007??
JD,

I know you have been answered but I thought it might be useful to step
in here and note a few of the things that makes PLD-Linux distinct.
Some things don't work quite like other distros.

In the PLD world, when a release get's made it's almost the same and
pronouncing the time of death for that branch of development. Once a
release is cut everything goes into maintenance mode and software is
no longer upgraded except minor and security releases. This is not
quite so different than other distros, except that the effect is
somewhat more dramatic.

The other dramatic bit is that the current development trees are kept
in stable running condition at all times even during the introduction
of major new software releases. Unlike other distros that lock down
their repositories for released branches to major versions of certain
packages, the current release tree in PLD is in continuous growth. The
longer systems go between updates the higher the likelihood of having
issues to work through on upgrades, but in general both old and new
systems can be continuously upgraded to the current package set.

Installing the system is typically done with some form of boot strap.
The CRI is a good way for newbies to get in the game. I tend to use
the rescue disc and do a full manual install from start to finish.
Admittedly this is a hard way to get into a new system and limits
PLD's usage and acceptance. Someday I hope to see this change and the
install options to get easier. Meanwhile once you have a system up and
running the flexibility to constantly upgrade it to the latest
packages is a huge boon.

If you need help getting through the install process feel free to post
on here, I and others would be glad to help you out. After that we'll
try to help you get the hang of the ropes. Once you know how things
are supposed to work, I think you'll find the machinery is well oiled!

Caleb
JD
Thank you Caleb.
That is a very nice heads-up info.
So, you are effectively saying that PLD-1 still gets
maintenance updates? It is indeed good to know.
It means there is not such thing as EOL date for
any PLD release. Right?

I have not installed it yet. I have downloaded the live 3 'Th' iso.
I was looking for the DVD iso, but I have not found it.
I was wondering about a way to to install as many of the packages
as I have on the other Linux installation (F13). I am not sure if that
can be done after I have installed live iso to hard drive. I have had
to look in other distros to find packages not available in Fedora. I had
to do same for FreeBSD. This is understandable since it is not possible
for any distro to provide every free package in existence.
Some minor issues I have had when finding a source rpm from another
distro, is that they use rpmbuild macros that are not supported by
whatever other version of Linux I was trying to build it on. So I have
had to munge the spec file in order to get somewhere. Notorious for
this are Mandriva and SUSE. I am sure I will not be able to escape this
even in PLD. :) :)

Cheers,

JD