How do I configure file types and programs in Gnome 2.8?
Radoslaw Zielinski
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
I can't find the application to configure file types and programs,
described in /usr/share/gnome/help/user-guide/C/goscustlookandfeel.xml
starting from line 148:

10.5 Configuring File Types and Programs
Use the File Types and Programs preference tool to configure the following:
[ blah, blah, blah ]

According to section 9.2 of the documentation, it should be in
Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and
programs; however, it's missing on my system. Where do I find this
tool?

$ rpm -qa|grep ^gnome|sort
gnome2-user-docs-2.8.0-3
gnome-applets-2.8.0-2
gnome-common-2.8.0-1
gnome-desktop-2.8.0-1
gnome-doc-tools-1.0-5
gnome-icon-theme-2.8.0-1
gnome-keyring-0.4.0-1
gnome-keyring-devel-0.4.0-1
gnome-keyring-libs-0.4.0-1
gnome-mime-data-2.4.1-4
gnome-mime-data-devel-2.4.1-4
gnome-panel-2.8.0.1-1
gnome-session-2.8.0-3
gnome-splash-pld-1.99-2
gnome-system-tools-1.0.0-1
gnome-terminal-2.7.3-2
gnome-themes-2.8.0-1
gnome-themes-extras-0.8.0-2
gnome-vfs2-2.8.1-4
gnome-vfs2-devel-2.8.1-4
gnome-vfs2-vfolder-menu-2.8.1-4
gnome-wallpaper-tray-0.4.6-2
--
Rados?aw Zieli?ski <***@karnet.pl>
[ GPG key: http://radek.karnet.pl/ ]
Dnia 08-10-2004, pi? o godzinie 14:56 +0200, Radoslaw Zielinski
Post by Radoslaw Zielinski
I can't find the application to configure file types and programs,
described in /usr/share/gnome/help/user-guide/C/goscustlookandfeel.xml
10.5 Configuring File Types and Programs
[ blah, blah, blah ]
According to section 9.2 of the documentation, it should be in
Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> File types and
programs; however, it's missing on my system. Where do I find this
tool?
I think, that this documentation is a little bit outdated. Now, in GNOME
2.8 there is different MIME subsystem. See
http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/ for more details.
Grzegorz Go?awski <***@pld-linux.org>
Radoslaw Zielinski
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
Post by Radoslaw Zielinski
I can't find the application to configure file types and programs,
[...]
Post by Grzegorz Goławski
I think, that this documentation is a little bit outdated. Now, in GNOME
2.8 there is different MIME subsystem. See
http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/mime/ for more details.
Thanks, I couldn't find it. For the record: ~/.mailcap worked just fine
for my needs.
--
Rados?aw Zieli?ski <***@karnet.pl>
[ GPG key: http://radek.karnet.pl/ ]