make menuconfig doesn't work (?)
Henry Gilbert
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
I've downloaded the source
and the tools necessary to recompile the kernel
that would be a way to get sound back

but on typing make mrproper
make menuconfig I get a lot of errors

ending up with
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

I was wondering what you guys do to compile the kernel

pls help.
Henry Gilbert
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
Post by Henry Gilbert
I've downloaded the source
and the tools necessary to recompile the kernel
that would be a way to get sound back
but on typing make mrproper
make menuconfig I get a lot of errors
ending up with
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
I was wondering what you guys do to compile the kernel
pls help.
Why you recompile kernel?
#poldek -i kernel-sound-alsa alsa-utils-init
#cat /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
)
# generate-modprobe.conf >/etc/modprobe.conf
It's all what you need.
sorry Grzegorz
but i will *need* to recompile the kernel sooner or later:

I work with :
win4lin and Vmware

and both require kernel recompilation
in the case of vmware it creates modules - no recompilation require

vmware as it stands is generating error when i run
vmware-config.pl

most likely due to kernel unfriendly to compile.

vmware
win4lin
nvidia
and evolution-1.4

are the most important thing for me for a distro
i like PLD i dont want to give up
but i also need those above for my job also
--
Now you can get AriZona Drinks in the UK
http://www.arizona.uk.com/shop.asp
Grzegorz Konopko
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
Post by Henry Gilbert
Post by Henry Gilbert
[...]
#poldek -i rpm-build gcc
$cd ~
$mkdir -p ~/rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES,RPMS,SRPMS,BUILD}
$cd rpm/SRPMS
$wget \
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/ac/PLD/SRPMS/SRPMS/kernel24-2.4.27-1.src.rpm
$rpmbuild kernel24-2.4.27-1.src.rpm --with win4lin
search result in ~/rpm/RPMS, install and then
#poldek -i kernel24-video-nvidia
Jakub Bogusz
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
Post by Grzegorz Konopko
Post by Henry Gilbert
I've downloaded the source
and the tools necessary to recompile the kernel
that would be a way to get sound back
but on typing make mrproper
make menuconfig I get a lot of errors
ending up with
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
I was wondering what you guys do to compile the kernel
pls help.
Too little input.
The real error messages are before the lines you have cited.

Generally to build kernel you must have binutils, gcc, glibc-devel and
ncurses-devel packages.

[...]
Post by Grzegorz Konopko
#poldek -i rpm-build gcc
$cd ~
$mkdir -p ~/rpm/{SPECS,SOURCES,RPMS,SRPMS,BUILD}
$cd rpm/SRPMS
$wget \
ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/dists/ac/PLD/SRPMS/SRPMS/kernel24-2.4.27-1.src.rpm
$rpmbuild kernel24-2.4.27-1.src.rpm --with win4lin
It won't work, even if it would build. Don't bother (unless you have
enough knowledge to fix the issue).
Win4Lin conflicts with some other feature from our kernel24, probably
grsecurity.
We've tested 2.4.26-1 built --with win4lin - such kernel booted, but
running win4lin caused whole machine to reboot.
Vanilla 2.4.26 with Win4Lin patches works.
Jakub Bogusz http://cyber.cs.net.pl/~qboosh/
Jakub Bogusz
2005-12-20 17:03:32 UTC
On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:38:15PM +0100, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
[...]
Post by Jakub Bogusz
Generally to build kernel you must have binutils, gcc, glibc-devel and
ncurses-devel packages.
Well, strictly speaking ncurses-devel isn't required to build kernel
- it's required only for menuconfig.
--
Jakub Bogusz http://cyber.cs.net.pl/~qboosh/