Nvidia Driver?
Peter Mittermayer
2005-12-20 17:03:31 UTC
What ist the difference between

XFree86-driver-nv
and
XFree86-driver-nvidia ??

Both are vor Nvidia Cards. The first one is contained in the
Distribution for Alphas. So has anybody ever had a working Nvidia
Graphics Adapter on an Alpha Machine (preferrably with 1280x1024 24bit
color depth)?

TIA,

Peter
Marek Guevara Braun
2005-12-20 17:03:31 UTC
What ist the difference between XFree86-driver-nv
and XFree86-driver-nvidia ??
First is from XFree86 distribution and is open sourced
second is from NVIDIA corporation and is only binary (ix86)

nvidia driver requires special kernel module from NVIDIA
(also binaries only for ix86)

Marek
Peter Mittermayer
2005-12-20 17:03:31 UTC
The nv driver is then for older nvidia cards only??

What is the best pci graphics card to use for linux on alpha
(1280x1024/24bit)??

Peter
Lukas Dobrek
2005-12-20 17:03:31 UTC
Post by Peter Mittermayer
The nv driver is then for older nvidia cards only??
What is the best pci graphics card to use for linux on alpha
(1280x1024/24bit)??
I have got this:
00:0b.0 Display controller: Texas Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2] (rev 01)

And it used to work:))) But I don't know which one is the best. Ask on
axp-list there is more axp users.

Best Regards
Lukasz Dobrek
--
?ukasz Dobrek
Institut f?r Theoretische Physik
Post by Peter Mittermayer
The nv driver is then for older nvidia cards only??
What is the best pci graphics card to use for linux on alpha
(1280x1024/24bit)??
It seems the best graphics cards for linux on PC are Matroxes and ATIs.
I think they should also work on alphas. I don't like S3 cards and
NVidia drivers & politics concerning documentation/driver sources.

Greets,
Jacek